What Is the Format of the PreventT2 Program?
PreventT2 groups meet for a year — weekly for the first 6 months, then once or twice a month for the second
6 months to maintain healthy lifestyle changes. During each session, your lifestyle coach will teach a lesson and lead a group discussion.
For example, you will learn to:
- Eat healthy
- Add physical activity to your life
- Manage stress
- Stay on track when eating out
- Understand and respond to your food cues
- Stay motivated
- Solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes
For more information about the PreventT2 Curriculum, go to http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/lifestyle- program/curriculum.html.
Lose 5–7% of your body weight
Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week.
Participants do this through:
- Healthy Eating – Eating smaller portions, reducing fat in your diet and discovering healthier foods can help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Increasing Physical Activity – Moderate physical activity (walking, swimming, mowing the lawn) for as little as 30 minutes, five days a week, can help improve your blood pressure, raise your good cholesterol and prevent blood flow problems.
- Losing Weight – Reducing your body weight by as little as 5–7% can offer tremendous benefits for people at risk for diabetes.